I attended the “second rehearsal” for “Shock Nation” season 2. This was the final rehearsal at a location off-set. The set up and methodology was identical to the first rehearsal, as documented here. Actual production/filming will commence after this.
Shock Nation is a webseries about a girl growing up in the streets of Baltimore City and trying to find her way, as well as escape from living in poverty and being surrounded by a neighborhood of violence and drug addiction. She gets inspired by a dance group called Shock Nation that changes her perspective on life. This series will go through the life struggles of today’s young adults living in poverty, but through their friendship and strong bond, they realize that together they can achieve anything, thrive to keep chasing after their dreams, and survive any obstacle because their love for dance helps to save their life in ways they could never imagine. – From TruTalent Creative Works website
Watch all eight episodes of Season 1 here.
Here are my major takeaways from all that has transpired so far with the table read and the two rehearsals:
- It was important that I read the entire script prior to the table read. As a result of this, I was able to put all the scenes I saw rehearsed – although they were rehearsed out-of-order – into context with respect to the main storyline and subplots.
- Being present for the rehearsals, to see the scenes run through, was so much better than just reading the script in isolation.
- It was so great to watch the actors become comfortable working together and learning the proper emotion in the rehearsed scenes.
- I got the opportunity to be a stand-in and actually read lines – besides being so much fun, it gave me a better understanding and appreciation of what actors have to go through.
- Being a part of these rehearsals, prior to the on-set work commencing, was advantageous, because I was able to concentrate on the story. When I work on-set as part of the crew, there is so much activity happening to which I must devote my attention.
Here are a bunch of photos from the session. All photos are from the author’s collection.
So now it is time for the actual production activity to begin!! Looking forward to that! I will continue to document the “Shock Nation” experience.
Please provide your thoughts and questions in the comments. I would really enjoy hearing from you. If you have a topic in mind you would like me to cover, please let me know.
Originally published February 9, 2018. Updated October 15, 2020 to adjust category assignments.